9 Major Differences between Thailand Thai Food and American Thai Food

american thai food 9 Major Differences between Thailand Thai Food and American Thai Food

Thailand Thai Food vs. American Thai Food

I was in Thailand for nearly 3 years before ever coming back to the United States.

I eat loads of Thai food in Thailand. And I LOVE it.

Upon returning the US for a quick few weeks visit, I noticed that Thai food is quite popular in America now. Nearly all neighborhoods have their very own “Thai Basil” or “Siam” restaurant at the nearest strip mall.

Many Thai restaurants in America are even owned and operated by real authentic Thais…

… but Thailand Thai food is different from American Thai food.

Not only are there differences in the ingredients or what’s available, Thai restaurants (despite attempting to remain authentic sometimes) simply have to adapt and then abide by to American style and taste.

Unfortunately, a lot of the strategies for predicting an outstanding Thai restaurant (before ever eating there) are useless in America – largely due to regulations.

Here are 9 major differences I noticed while sampling American Thai food:

Of course, I could break down the differences between each and every dish (like pad thai in Thailand and in America), but for the sake of this article, I’ll stick with the food in general.

7024306941 0b093fb713 z 9 Major Differences between Thailand Thai Food and American Thai Food

Mountainous American portions!

1. Portion Size

There’s a radical difference between American sized food portions and Thai sized food portions… and I had completely forgotten about it after staying in Bangkok for so long.

America loves HUGE.

It’s not that I eat less in Thailand, it’s just that the the portions are smaller so I order multiple plates of rice per meal. In Hawaii I ordered a plate of pad gra pao (lad khao – on top of rice) in Chinatown and it was a massive plate – double or even triple the size of a normal Bangkok street food portion.

2. Price

There’s no surprise at this one. Living expenses are naturally more expensive in America than in Thailand.

While in Thailand a normal plate of rice topped with a single dish and possibly a fried egg costs 30 – 40 THB ($1 – $1.30) and in America the same dish would probably run $7 – $10. However (as mentioned above) the portion size is 2 to 3 times larger.

Maybe I should have done a weight to price comparison?

3. Spring Rolls as Thai Food

Thai restaurants in America serve lots and lots of spring rolls – just like everyone in America must eat an egg roll with Chinese food, so Thai food is always served with a deep fried spring roll.

I think it’s because Americans like deep fried things (and Thai restaurant owners have figured this out).

Thailand does have deep fried spring rolls, but I could easily spend months in Thailand eating at only local street stall restaurants without ever touching spring rolls. In fact, I only know one food cart in Bangkok that even serves por pia tod on a regular basis.

4. Lots of Meat

America has long been famous as a large meat consuming nation, so it’s not surprising to find American Thai food is generous on the meat.

A normal dish in Thailand will come mixed with a little meat, but just a skimpy amount compared to the amount of chicken or pork served in a single Thai dish in America. The chicken in America is just bigger and the pork is just bulkier.

6878207036 96fcc01818 z 9 Major Differences between Thailand Thai Food and American Thai Food

Thai amount of herb use

5. Skimp on the Herbs

Pad gra pao (stir fried holy basil) should be packed with basil. One thing I noticed is that Thai food in America is that meat is heavily prevalent, herbs are scarcer.

Not sure if this is due to the price of the herbs in America or because lots of herbs means lots more flavor, which could be unappealing to some consumers, maybe?

Nevertheless, the best source of the delicious repertoire of Thai ingredients is within Thailand itself.

6878213432 aa9ae341de z 9 Major Differences between Thailand Thai Food and American Thai Food

Som Tam in Thailand and America

6. No Dried Shrimp

One of the fundamental ingredients in a good som tam (green papaya salad) is salty dried shrimp (goong haeng). Not only do the little guys provide extra flavor, but also extra saltiness and a little bit of a chewy texture.

After eating som tam twice in America I discovered that they don’t include dried shrimp in their recipes – not sure if it’s because it’s hard to get in America or again if it’s too different for most American crowds?

7024307013 4a2b39d447 z 9 Major Differences between Thailand Thai Food and American Thai Food

American Thai Green Curry

7. Flavor Level

Speaking honestly, Thai food in America is often bland and just about all Thais I know would put it into the “jued mak mak” category.

It’s not that all dishes are lacking completely in flavor, it’s just that some are lacking the proportionate amount of flavor – not hot enough, not sour enough, not rich enough, not herbaceous enough – all the pillar tastes combined into the authentic flavor of Thailand Thai food.

Note: I didn’t mention spicy chili level here because you can order things chili hot in America… same like you can in Thailand. However the mild is probably milder in America.

8. Not Sour Enough

While Thailand Thai food does have a range level of sourness, even ordering dishes less sour in Thailand will land you with a dish or soup that’s more sour than a sour dish in America.

Sourness is one of the pillars of Thai cuisine and it’s one that has been toned down a couple notches to cater to the American palate.

6878207070 d1e82ff21f z 9 Major Differences between Thailand Thai Food and American Thai Food

Green Curry in Bangkok

9. Sticky Rice Mix-Up

There are lots of things you may not know about eating Thai food until living and eating in Thailand. Along with learning Thai food etiquitte, there are a number of unwritten Thai eating rules.

For instance, in America it’s possible to eat a dish like green curry along with Thai sticky rice. This combination would be unheard of in Thailand. Green curry (gaeng keow wan) is eaten with steamed white rice. Som tam (green papaya salad) and other Isaan food dishes are often enjoyed with sticky rice.

This is just the surface. There are many many more differences between Thailand Thai food and American Thai food. As the awesome Thai food writer Pitchaya Sudbanthad explains, it’s all about learning to love Thai-American food.

“When I eat it, I know where I am,” says Sudbanthad.

I’d love to hear your thoughts. Please leave a comment!

Get updates on Thai food you love!

Sign up now, to get more delicious updates on Thai food you love!

(just enter your email, for instant access)

Comments

1. JL says

Sure, there’s lots of terrible Thai food in the United States.

But there is also some terrific, wholly authentic Thai food to be found here, especially in cities like San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York City (particularly in Queens), and even Portland, OR. Specifically, I’d encourage you to check out Lers Ros in SF, Ganda in LA, Ayada and Zabb Elee in NYC, and Pok Pok in Portland.

Re #6: dried shrimp are cheap and easy to find in the US. Every halfway decent Asian grocery stocks them. So if you’re not seeing them in Thai restaurants here, it’s likely because the owners believe US diners are afraid of fishy flavors. Too bad. The restaurants I mentioned above all use dried shrimp, as well as all the other typical authentic ingredients (holy basil, galangal, etc.).

Finally, one of the main problems I find with Americanized Thai food is that it’s far too sweet. At the worst joints, every dish is overloaded with sugar (and not even palm sugar!).

2. says

All so true. I’m not sure we have it quite so bad in the UK – I find that Thai food here is truer to Thai food in Thailand than say our Chinese food is to ‘true’ Chinese cuisine (not that I’ve been!) – but there is a great deal of variation between food quality and, at the worse places, I would say pretty much all of these ring true.

Glad you mentioned the sticky rice conundrum as, though it’s very true, it’s the only one of these differences that didn’t spring to mind when I saw the title of your post. Again, I think it’s less prevalent here as dishes are generally sold without rice, which is ordered separately (steamed or sticky as per the customer’s possibly ill-informed wishes) but what I do find is that supposed food writers suggest dishes in magazines etc which comprise curries, stir fries etc and sticky rice. Just makes you wonder whether some of these people have ever travelled to the source of their dishes. (And don’t get me started on the Philadelphia advert which recommends making green curry with Philly cheese – and not a hint of coconut!)

On the ingredients front, sure some ingredients are harder to come by, but just about everything – dried shrimps, pla rah, horapa, krapao, baby and pea aubergines etc) can be sourced if the restaurant owner is worth their salt and knows where to look. I agree that, far more than a procurement issue, it’s a case of catering to dumbed down tastes. Interestingly, I have found som tum has only really begun to make an appearance on menus in the last couple of years – it was difficult to find (or at least done well) before that. The UK suffers the spice problem (or lack of it) probably more than the US, too – dishes can be bland and underspiced unless you make a point of asking for them otherwise.

A long time until we see dishes more typical of everyday Thai eating habits on menus over here rather than just generic red and green curries and pad thai, I suspect – and even longer until we see more ‘daring’ dishes like kung che nam pla, pad phet gob etc etc. Great article – thanks.

3. says

After I traveled to Thailand (and Laos, Cambodia, and Vietnam had something to do with it too), I made a huge change to how I cook Thai food at home — I stocked up on a few essentials. Dried shrimp (as you mentioned) dried radish, palm sugar, and fish sauce in large quantities.

We’re lucky here in San Francisco. Lers Ros Thai restaurant opened and they make dishes that seem (to my limited experience, at least) very authentic. It’s the only Thai restaurant in San Francisco I bother with when I’m in charge of choosing.
    Lauren, Ephemerratic recently posted..A little bit of everything – Lima, Peru photo essay

4. Olarn says

Best of the Best Thai food are more differrent tasty. Just not only spicy dish also many herbs good for health such as some food can be anti cancer.Decorate dish is very wonderful like carving some veg. or fruits. Awesome >>>>>

5. Suthanya says

I have to agree with the Tom Yum… I have never had it in a restaurant as good as my Thai mom cooks it at home (in her US kitchen) so a Thai restaurant should be able to make it a little more authentic if she still can! I worked in Thai restaurant in PA, the other thing I noticed about the Som Tam, they didn’t prepare it in the mortar in pestle like my mom does or like they do in Thailand. One restaurant we went to made Pad Thai with ketchup!!! And US Pad Thai is usually soupy instead dry like you find in Thailand.

• says

Thanks for this extra information Suthanya. It’s great to hear your perspective as a Thai living in the US. Mmmm… pad thai made with ketchup… doesn’t sound so good!

6. says

You should check out the Thai food in France (where I lived before)…with one or two exceptions, it ‘s really, really sad! Often it’s just Chinese masquerading as Thai. Luckily I live in Thailand now :-)

7. says

Hi, I just returned from my trip to Thailand. Yes, you are right. The portions served in Bangkok are 1/3 the size of what they serve in USA. But then, consider the price which is relative to the portion served. I noticed that the food portion is even smaller in Phuket. They were more the size of appetizers. This works out great because it gives you the opportunity to try a variety of foods. Besides, if you should find the food not cooked according to your taste buds, at least you don’t have a mountain to finish off….esp. since one really should not waste food. So far, we never did encounter that problem.

Have enjoyed reading your posts. Yaowarat is a very large Chinatown. Which part were you in? Sampeng area? Phahurat area? How recently did you take the videos?

• says

Hi Victoria, thank you for the comment. I agree, the smaller portion sizes in Thailand area a good thing. It depends on the video, but many of them have been filmed within the last year. The Yaowarat video was just a few months ago as was the main 25 things to do in Bangkok video. Thanks for you support!

8. Steve says

Nice article, I agree on the differences and have struggled to find any decent Thai food in the US. I have lived in many countries and found that the Thai food is usually average at best, but in the US I actually find some of it to be inedible, so far removed from what I have in Thailand that I’m not sure you could call it Thai.

In Australia, where I currently live, the Thai food is generally a bit similar to Thailand except that it tends to be sweeter and less spicy. Luckily we have a few places that do make authentic Thai food, especially in Sydney and Melbourne, and I think the larger number of people holidaying in Thailand means more people do want the authentic tastes. We also do have a lot of very poor Thai places and Chinese/Vietnamese run places that seem to want to be trading off Thai food because it commands a higher price than their cuisines.

In the UK I found it similar to Australia, except the UK Thai food never had some of the freshness that we have over here. Much of this will be down to the fact that herbs, vegetable used all have to be imported and I do think they lose flavour being transported. I think this is probably one of the big reasons food in Thailand tastes better too, most of the food will be fresh and grown locally.

Europe was very poor, I’d put this down to lack of ingredients or demand from local Thai communities. Quite often the sort of place you see in Europe is someone who has brought a Thai wife back and bought a restaurant for her, without her being a proper Thai chef so naturally the food is poor.

As a frequent traveller to the US, particularly LA, I was especially disappointed in Thai Town though, I could not find any place decent and the ones that had good ratings were actually awful. Much of the famous Thai smile seemed to have disappeared too in those restaurants.

9. CXC says

Thai food in Houston is fairly americanized. However, there’s one restaurant downtown that does the American Thai but has a soup on the menu that’s to die for, Sour and fishy goodness.

10. Hank says

I LIVE IN THE SILICON VALLEY IN NORTHERN CALIFORNIA AND I AM ABLE TO FIND ALL THE INGREDIENTS TO MAKE PAD KRAPOW GAI / THAI BASIL CHICKEN.
    I CAN FIND FRESH HOLY BASIL AT MY LOCAL FARMERS MARKET AND THE REST I CAN PURCHASE AT A VARIETY OF ASIAN SUPERMARKETS . IN MY PART OF THE WORLD INGREDIENTS ARE NOT A PROBLEM FOR THAI RESTAURANTS, IT’S THE CLIENTS WHO COME FROM VASTLY DIFFERENT FOOD BACKGROUNDS. IF MOST OF THE RESTAURANTS CUSTOMERS WERE THAI, THIS DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AMERICAN THAI FOOD WOULD NOT EXIST. I’M AN AMERICAN- FILIPINO SO I’M OK WITH FISHY AND SOUR, MY WIFE IS THAI AND SHE IS A VERY GOOD COOK , YET SHE HAS TO ADJUST HER COOKING SOMETIMES FOR MY TASTES. ALSO ALONG THE SAME LINES I WAS IN PATTAYA AND I SAW A BELGIAN OWNED RESTAURANT HAD A SPECIAL FOR MUSSELS AND FRENCH FRIES. I AM VERY FAMILIAR WITH THIS DISH AS I USE TO VISIT ANTWERP, BELGIUM WITH MY DUTCH FRIENDS JUST TO EAT MUSSELS AND “FRITES”. WELL TO SAY THE LEAST, THE MUSSELS TASTED LIKE
    GINGER WITH FISH SAUCE NOT ANISE AND BUTTER…I ATE THEM ANYWAY AS THEY TASTED THE WAY MY FILIPINO MOTHER PREPARES MUSSELS. IN SHORT THE HOME LAND IS WHERE YOU GET THE REAL DEAL!

11. Sharin says

When you wrote about not seeing any except 1 single spring roll vendor…where are you talking about? My husband and I lived in BKK for the last two years and it was about 1-2 times a week we stopped by our egg roll woman at her cart on busy Sukhumvit. Just up from there, I would get som tam gep moo 2 times a week and they don’t serve sticky rice or streamed rice with som tam…
    Curious to know where you lived to say what you did in your post.

• says

Hi Sharin thanks for the message. Both Mark and I have lived all over Bangkok. So we’re pretty sure that while you can get deep fried rolls in a few places— it’s not the norm. Actually if you search around we’ve written about a few of those places with great poh pia. When they do exist, they tend to be in more touristy areas like sukhumvit and khao san. There are also vendors on Suk doing sum tum who get most of their business from to go traffic and may not serve rice. However, most people take it home and still eat it with rice and any vendor with a good setup will always be ready to serve rice with their dishes. Anyway, the things mentioned in this article are about the general trends of what you find in the US versus Thailand. As there are also places in the US with sticky rice and who are doing awesome Thai food. Let us know if you have any more questions!

12. says

You make a good point about the portion size. In Thailand, at the end of the day, you’re spending 1/7 – 1/10 of the cost of a thai meal in America. But the portion size in America is twice the size. So it really boils down to about 1/4 of the cost. But still, that’s 4x the value! I’ll take those numbers any day over imitation Thai food in America.

You should write a post about the difference between Thai American food and USA American food. But then that really wouldn’t be ‘eatingthaifood’!

13. poe says

As a Thai restaurant owner and chef in NY, try as I might, I just cant seem to sell REAL Thai food. Sure, i cook it as home at family functions, but at the restaurant, no. For one thing, there is the issue of allergies and spice levels. A lot of customers have gluten and shellfish allergies. So the dried shrimp is out of the papaya salad. Kang som is out. I had supe nor mai on the menu, and most could not eat it bc it tasted funky. I did manage to sneak in moo krob, crispy fried pork belly with nam prig noom ( which includes pla ra!! of all things) Its a huge seller, bc pork belly is all the rage now, but when i see the dish come back, there’s a load of nam prig noom left over! Its really frustrating as a chef when i try to present the foods i was brought up on, and it has to be changed!! No soy, no fish sauce, no peanuts, no shellfish, etc. etc. As for fresh herbs, they are at a premium. The only fresh herbs we use are home grown mint, cilantro(bought) basil(bought) and lemongrass. Our kaffir lime tree doesnt yield enough leaves (yet) so that is used sparingly, only in soups. I wont even put it in the panang curry, bc customers ask to leave it out. very disheartening. But i do put it into my pla lad prig though, but like i said, very sparingly. so, am i a sell out? yes. to a certain extent. Some dishes i refuse to change. I ask them to pick something else. am i profitable? yes. because the bottom line is the american $$. thanks for hearing me out.

• says

Hey Poe, thank you so much for sharing your insights as a Thai chef, very interesting. I fully understand what you’re saying. Good luck with your restaurant and if we’re ever in NYC, would love to stop by!

• Gtm says

I am not Thai, but an Indian who used to cook at a Thai-Chinese restaurant owned by a Laotian. Naturally, sticky rice accompanied everything as the default rice (!!) and the customers felt very “authentic”, scooping it out of the little baskets!

Papaya som tam: the Lao use pla la/ladek, which comes in food service buckets of muddy liquid. Customers would ALWAYS order the “real” thing and invariably, plates would come back untouched! Why? That pla la, ladled out in happy measures, and the failure of Americans, as also in Indian restaurants, to recognize that the som tam is NOT a salad per se but a raw dish to be eaten with rice: a rice-sending dish, as the Chinese term such things. That pla la and vegetable juice puddling in a dark pool is the gravy and the vegetables are the solid portion and the whole itself is a complete meal with rice, where another meat or dry-cooked fish are tasty nibbles at best.

Dry shrimp of good quality are VERY expensive in the USA [$4-5 for 3.5 oz retail], and affect the bottom line, when the customer believes in getting out by paying less than $10/head, indeed $8 + tax being more usual for a dinner entree.

In the northeast US, we need to buy cilantro from food service people, fresh limes, Thai lime leaves [VERY expensive and not that flavorful as the ones in India or Thailand], krachai, galangal, VERY expensive shallots, you name it. Even peanuts and lettuce is expensive, flowering kale and Chinese greens, Thai chillies, coconut milk of good quality, every little thing cuts into the bottom line and SO much is wasted on the table and cannot be resused. What a terrible cultural tendency there is of not finishing food and not eating garnishes and such. Whole fish with Chu Chee sauce, and practically 1/3 of the fish comes back with perfectly good edible parts, especially around the head uneaten. Going to restaurants is a game, and not a reason to eat food or satisfy hunger.

That is why we started a policy of measuring out in aluminum pie plates portions of stuff Americans will eat: carrots, mushroom, bell pepper, a couple of other vegetables if cheap, add 4-5 cubes of par-cooked chicken or protein and a big dab of processed curry paste and hold in cooler in rows: red, green, yellow, magenta, purple, whatever is the color du jour! As orders fly in, oil, our special secret magic mix that I am never supposed to reveal although it is so childish, in with the pie plate, up the gas, one ladle of our magic broth, msg, sugar, fish sauce, coconut milk, a couple of leaves of basil and your colorful curry is done, $7.95, and everyone and their date is delirious with joy. You cannot deviate from this formula, cannot serve authentic Lao food, authentic Indian food, anything but what people like. Can you guess HOW much sugar, salth and oil their is in each plate of Thai curry? Mark, if I told you, you would never eat in an American Thai restaurant again. A Chu Chee curry, instead of being thick and piquant, runs over and drips on to the table cloth, because buying bigger serving plates also costs money. Remember that $7.95-12.95 price point?

Do you have Rama noodles in Thailand? They are such amazing sellers here, peanut butter cut with coconut milk and some stock, and whatever else the cook feels like that day. Stir fried vegetables with a funny brown sauce neither Thai nor Chinese, but having enough broccoli and carrots to make diners feel “virtuous” after all that coconut milk, and allowing the vegans something to feel superior about, as they look with horrified disdain to the orgy going on around them! You need to understand all the psychological dynamics happening in an American Thai restaurant, as much as the ones around the extended family Thanksgiving party because a restaurant NEVER succeeds on just the food it serves. Servers need to be alert to first dates, and those on assignations. Also, to many special needs which are freely expressed in the US. You completely misunderstand the MANY MANY different purposes a Thai restaurant serves in this complex society, only one of them being the production of Thai food. A restaurant is a social place fulfilling a very difficult set of needs in this hard and difficult society, and a successful owner catches all the vibes in his corner of the world and makes people at home and very welcome. That is his function, and not making his critics or reviewers happy.

Even the cook at BOH have their hands full managing staff for mundane duties like prep work, stocking and so forth, and reliable labor is so very difficult to find, and just the task of getting a kitchen cleaned up after midnight is more hassle than you can imagine. All of these practical realities intrude upon life. I enjoyed my time very much, and the sense of camaraderie and craziness, all of it.

14. says

That’s right!!! I Thai, and I can say that Thai food is the best for me! Next time you should try “Larb Moo Tord”. It’s A Northeast of Thailand’s food. Like, fried pork spicy salad, something like that ( i don’t know how to explain) but that’s reallllllllly good

Btw// welcome back anytime ;; Thai girl

15. Dan says

Yeah agree with everything in this post. I would never eat Thai food in the UK, it just feels like a complete rip off, aside from the fact even the award winning restaurants outside of Thailand just aren’t really close to the real thing. I think it is a perceived lack of demand by the restaurant managers, rather than a lack of ingredients, that is the cause for the difference in tastes. This can be seen in pretty much all international cuisines in the UK. The reverse is also true, Western in food in Thailand being pretty poor oweing to the Thai tendency to add sugar to western dishes to combat the relative blandness compared to Thai dishes.

It’s true as well, spring rolls are not popular here, and ‘Prawn Crackers’ are almost unheard of (offhand can only think of one shop that sells them in my town Ubon Ratchathani).

Any authentic Thai restaurant outside of Thailand would probably be a commercial failure…

16. Larry Hill says

Mark, if you’re ever back in the States and want to eat real Thai food I find the best place to go on Sundays or during events when they have them are Thai temples. They usually sell tons of food and often ingredients to make your own. And the prices are way cheap. At my Thai temple back home – the one my mother goes to rather – I can get a huge plate of Thai style fried chicken, papaya salad and sticky rice for less than a McDonald’s value meal.

• Scott Lucas says

Dear Mark,
        We are a small Thai company looking to expand our client base in the UK, US and Europe.What we will be offering is 100% localy handmade Thai curry pastes,we are currently sourcing the best of these from our location of Krabi in southern Thailand.We aim to offer these curry pastes in the following types: Green curry, Massaman curry, Penang curry, Red curry, Southern curry ,Southern Hot & sour, Yellow curry and Tom Yum Paste.We can also obtain Shrimp paste for use with some of these pastes.Selling by the Kilogram or half Kilo we are looking for Thai restaurants or suppliers that would be interested in trying these world class authentic pastes and hopefully create a regular supply chain,building a reliable and successful business partnership with our overseas clients.
        We are making a list of Thai restaurants and suppliers that would want to try these pastes and will be sending 50g samples of each type to the restaurants and suppliers that are interested in trying out the pastes.
        We can be contacted via twitter @Thaicurrypastes.
        Please don’t hesitate to contact us with any questions you may have and also if there are any other items that you feel we could be of help in locating for you on a regular basis.All we need is your address to send the free trial pastes.
        Thank you for your attention in this matter, we look forward to hearing from you soon
        Kind Regards,,Scott and Som

17. says

Herbs such as basil are easy to find and not expensive in the US. Also, I’ve been cooking with dried shrimps since the 1970s – easy to find in any city with Asian food stores. Mine usually come from Oakland Chinatown.

Would love to taste more typical Thai food!

18. Nui Nopphachaya says

I think, it’s very difficult to find authentic taste of Thai foods outside Thailand. Not only in USA but the other countries too.

I agree with you in the fact that some kind of fresh ingredients are way too difficult to get or you might get it but not really in a good condition or good quality.
    (Sometime, I was craving for some Thai desserts that need to add fresh/dried shredded young coconut meat, fresh coconut water, pandan leaves or even aroma candle and I was unable to find them, so I end up using sterilized coconut water/meat/milk from the can or package…some brands gave horrible taste and smell)

For the side of business, the preferences of customers could be concerned as one of the major factors of lacking in the authentic taste, smell and even presentation.
    I’m an expat, working as cabin crew in middle-east. In my journey log, I found only a few of Thai restaurants all over the world that I could be able to request the original Thai taste and I really got it.

My solution is whenever I got a chance to go back home in Bangkok, I just kind of stuffed the whole Thai grocery in my luggage and cook it myself!! :-))

• says

Hi Nui, thank you so much for sharing your thoughts, I agree. And great answer… when we need some authentic Thai food, we’ve got to just come back to Thailand. Hope you’re doing well.

19. Jonathan says

I generally agree with the conclusion of the article, but comparing the Thai food in Hawaii with Thailand and then saying that all American Thai food is just like Hawaiian Thai food is a stretch. Food quality and tastes (and access to ingredients) in America vary widely from state to state and city to city, so a large enough sample representative for many or all states & major cities must be taken into account before drawing a conclusion that covers all of the USA. All you can truthfully say from the content of this article is that Hawaiian Thai food is different than Thai food in Thailand.

Trackbacks