Som Tam Boo Maa Restaurant (ส้มตำปูม้า): Sensational Thai Isan Food

I get the chills even thinking about Som Tam Boo Maa restaurant ส้มตำปูม้า. It surely reigns as one of finest Isaan food restaurants in Bangkok, and my overall favorite pick. It’s run by a family that treats food with utmost respect, a family that I would trust to make food for royalty.

A full meal here with a spread of fish will cost anywhere from 100 – 200 THB per person.

5632827389 c25bd36e85 o Som Tam Boo Maa Restaurant (ส้มตำปูม้า): Sensational Thai Isan Food

Som Tam Boo Maa Restaurant, Bangkok, Thailand ส้มตำปูม้า

My inevitable first move is to involuntarily order the roasted fish (pla pao ปลาเผา) that is smellable from a ways down the road. They are absolute masters of grilled fish, a light char on the exterior with flawless moist fish meat under the skin.

5632826453 8f2849d0dd o Som Tam Boo Maa Restaurant (ส้มตำปูม้า): Sensational Thai Isan Food

Roasted Snakehead Fish ปลาเผา

5633409632 bbebf95406 o Som Tam Boo Maa Restaurant (ส้มตำปูม้า): Sensational Thai Isan Food

Roasted Snakehead Fish ปลาเผา

The roasted fish is served with a combination of succulent sauces. They serve one sauce that is reminiscent of a Mexican chipotle roasted chili sauce with a Thai twist; it’s so delicious that every time I eat at this restaurant, I have to refrain myself from drinking the sauce like a beverage.

5633410060 5e26cacc55 o Som Tam Boo Maa Restaurant (ส้มตำปูม้า): Sensational Thai Isan Food

Thai Chipotle Sauce

My first bite of this deep fried snakehead fish bathed in a spicy pungent chili sauce and garnished with robust red onions, basil, and mint sprigs (nam tok pla chon tod น้ำตกปลาช่อนทอด) was enough for me to immediately award it a trophy for the top 10 things I’ve ever indulged in. I’m salivating right now just thinking about it.

5633410816 74ed343535 o Som Tam Boo Maa Restaurant (ส้มตำปูม้า): Sensational Thai Isan Food

Nam tok pla chon tod น้ำตกปลาช่อนทอด

Of course, no Isaan meal is complete for me without an order of Thai spicy catfish salad (larb pla duk ลาบปลาดุก). I can’t get enough of this dish. Som tam boo maa serves it brilliantly, the body of the fish emptied out, mixed with spices and herbs, and then placed back between the head and tail of the catfish.

5633411070 9fa36e9752 o Som Tam Boo Maa Restaurant (ส้มตำปูม้า): Sensational Thai Isan Food

Spicy catfish salad (larb pla duk ลาบปลาดุก)

The normal Isaan dishes, like green papaya salad (som tam thai ส้มตำไทย) are prepared with flawless expertise.

5633410606 89e25398cb o Som Tam Boo Maa Restaurant (ส้มตำปูม้า): Sensational Thai Isan Food

Green papaya salad (som tam thai ส้มตำไทย)

A nice twist to a normal plate of papaya salad is with an added touch of grilled shrimp (som tam goong sot ส้มตำกุ้งสด)!

5633410934 9052ca2520 o Som Tam Boo Maa Restaurant (ส้มตำปูม้า): Sensational Thai Isan Food

Papaya sald with grilled shrimp (som tam goong sot ส้มตำกุ้งสด)

Som tam boo maa makes possibly the best minced pork salad (larb moo ลาบหมู) in Bangkok, a luscious combo of minced pork, red onions, green onions, mint sprigs and roasted chilies – the winner ingredient in my opinion!

5632827149 039b6a3681 o Som Tam Boo Maa Restaurant (ส้มตำปูม้า): Sensational Thai Isan Food

Minced pork salad (larb moo ลาบหมู)

Among the repertoire of divine treats offered, the winged bean salad (yam tùa ploo ยาํา ถวั่ พลู) is yet another dish to rave about.

5633409930 109a119ce2 o Som Tam Boo Maa Restaurant (ส้มตำปูม้า): Sensational Thai Isan Food

Winged bean salad (yam tùa ploo ยาํา ถวั่ พลู)

The sour Isan Thai soup with duck (tom saap bped ต้มแซบเป็ด) is literally insane, a fusion of the best tastes that could possibly fulfill any mans mouth in a single bite. Dry chili flakes permeate through the dish in an amazing fiery liquid!

5632827681 927d522448 o Som Tam Boo Maa Restaurant (ส้มตำปูม้า): Sensational Thai Isan Food

Sour Isan Thai soup (tom saap bped ต้มแซบเป็ด)

Yes indeed, it always makes my day when I wake up knowing that I will be visiting Som Tam Boo Maa restaurant!

5632828175 baeeff9d7e o Som Tam Boo Maa Restaurant (ส้มตำปูม้า): Sensational Thai Isan Food

Here’s a video about my latest meal here:

(You can also watch it on YouTube here)

Address for Som Tam Boo Maa Restaurant, Bangkok, Thailand

Som Tam Boo Maa Restaurant
25/48 Thanon Charan Sanitwong
Bang Khun Non, Bangkok 10700
Tel. 0-2822-3577
Hours: 11:00 – 23:00

ส้มตำปูม้า
25/48 ถ.จรัญสนิทวงศ์ บางขุนนนท์ บางกอกน้อย กทม. 10700
โทร. 0-2882-3577
เปิด-ปิด 11.00-23.00 น.

How to Get to Som Tam Boo Maa Restaurant

The restaurant is located just off Charan Sanitwong road, on a great food street called Bang Khun Non in Bangkok, Thailand. The easiest way to get there is to go by taxi, fare should be around 70 THB from central Bangkok. There are also plenty of buses that pass Charan Sanitwong road and it’s just a short walk down Bang Khun Non road to reach the restaurant (on the left side of the road).

View Som Tam Boo Maa Restaurant (ส้มตำปูม้า) in a larger map

Get updates on Thai food you love!

Sign up now, to get more delicious updates on Thai food you love!

(just enter your email, for instant access)

Comments

1. Michael says

Hi Mark,

you wrote: “Just a 5 minute walk away is the coolest coffee shop in all of Bangkok!”
    Where do I find this coffee shop, could you post that address? I will check out this area with my kids next week, thanks a lot for your work, I love it!!!!!

Michael

2. Matt says

Hi Mark!

My partner and I are off to thailand for the first time in 3 days! Exciting! I have been reading your website for weeks and getting everything in order and a colleague of mine has said I must try nam took moo (no 43 on your 100) .

Is Som Tam Boo Maa restaurant ส้มตำปูม้า the best place to get it? If not then where?

Thanks…

• says

Hey Matt, thank you very much for reading the site and great to hear you’ll be coming to Bangkok/Thailand soon. Nam Tok Moo is a very common dish, served at lots and lots of restaurants – so while it is very good at Som Tam Boo Maa, there are plenty of other, more central places to get it as well. I’d recommend this place: http://www.eatingthaifood.com/2012/10/isan-rod-ded-restaurant-rangnam-bangkok/ which is right in central Bangkok. That being said Som Tam Boo Maa is AWESOME and worth a visit, though you’ve got to get there by taxi. Hope this helps!

• Matt says

Hi Mark,thanks for taking the time to write back. Well we’ve been to pumpkin lady and loved it. We just had the nam Tom moo at this place – Toi Gway Tiew Reua
        The broth was amazing although it looked very different from your no. 43 in the photo of the top 100.

We will definitely try isan rod red.

Thanks again,

Matt

• says

Hey Matt, glad you made it to Pumpkin Lady. Did you have “nam tok” at the boat noodle restaurant? That has a bit of a different meaning, it means the soup broth “with blood,” – so it was probably a dark broth? If you go to the Rod Ded restaurant and ask for “nam tok moo” you’ll get the sliced pork salad! Hope you enjoy it!
          Mark

3. Damien says

Hi Mark,
    You had a great isaan style street food vendor in Silom, Bangkok which you did a review for and I can’t find the details. Narrow strip along a road, which you said was very busy after 7.
    Can you remember where it was?

4. Robbert-Jan Meijer says

Hi Mark,

Great website you have here! I can’t stop drooling everytime I visit the site. I love pla pao, ever since I ate it in Laos. This summer I will travel in Thailand. Do you some good places to eat pla pao close to Khao san Road? And any restaurants/street stall food you like close to Khao san in general? I’m also looking for a Moo Krata joint. Any recommendations? I’m not familiar in Bangkok so I have no clue where everything is. Thanks in advance! And again, I love your site, keep up the good work!

Robbert-Jan

5. Robbert-Jan Meijer says

Hi Mark,
    Robbert-Jan

6. Joy says

Hi Mark, this could be the best blog and only blog I’ve taken interest in. I will travel any distance for food! Big love for anything that can be eaten with sticky rice. Som Tum, Pla Salit, Larb Gai, Gai Yang get in my belly, I’m coming for you!

Trackbacks